Most people find grapefruit juice too sour or bitter to be flavorful or even delicious and opt instead for commercial preparations that are, more often than not, loaded with processed sugar, preservatives, and other artificial substances. This article will hopefully show you how to make grapefruit juice the natural way which will taste delicious by just using a juicer.
There is nothing more refreshing or nutritious than grapefruit juice which you have made yourself to start the day with. Unlike the store-bought variety, homemade grapefruit juice retains its nutrients, eliminates the addition of refined sugar, is cheaper on the budget, and is readily available for your consumption any time.
Grapefruit has zero cholesterol and sodium, is low in calories, loaded with vitamins C and A, and is a rich source of the antioxidant known as lycopene.
If you aren’t aware of the health benefits and nutritive values of grapefruit juice, just take a look over at this page here.
How to Make Grapefruit Juice the Easy Way
You would want the ripest and freshest grapefruit possible when you make your juice. The best, of course, is the organic kind because you are guaranteed that it does not have pesticides or any chemical residue on its skin and inside its flesh or pulp. Choose ruby red grapefruits, because they are the sweetest in flavor.
While you can use a blender, in my opinion it’s better to use a juicer if you have one, and i’ve explained previously why I think juicers are better than blenders.
- Rinse two to three pieces of grapefruit with warm water thoroughly.
- Cut them into halves, take each half and place it in your juicer. You will get a lovely shade of pink for your juice if you use the ruby red variety with the pink flesh.
- Pour the grapefruit juice into a large pitcher and repeat the process until you get the amount of juice that you want or need.
- As soon as you have your desired amount, cover the pitcher and store it inside your refrigerator to chill it before drinking.
- Although you can have some ice with it, the additional water will dilute the taste.
- Consume your home made grapefruit juice within a week’s time.
For cleansing purposes, you can have grapefruit juice with each of your meals to hasten your detoxification efforts. Note that grapefruit juice, as mentioned, aids in weight loss by burning fat and acting as a natural laxative, so you can detoxify and lose weight at the same time.
An affordable juicer that produces high quality juice and is easy to use. A little noisy though.
Omega Vrt350 HD
The best juicer on the market for juicing quality in our opinion. Powerful, quiet and very easy to use.
Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro
A great juicer if you are on a budget and want your juice extracted in less than a minute!
Tips and Tricks to Making the Best Grapefruit Juice
Juicing is easy, convenient, and gives you the most out of your grapefruit but there are a few tips and tricks which you may not know about that can prove useful. For instance, did you know that you should leave the white pith on when you peel it because it contains the all-important bioflavonoids that help the body absorb vitamin C?
Neutralize the acidity or tartness of grapefruit juice by adding a dash of salt to it. You either rub salt onto the halved grapefruit or stir the salt in it after juicing the fruit. Salt draws out other flavors of some foods and can actually reduce the bitterness of grapefruit juice and other foods like dark chocolate.
Some fruits and vegetables – such as kiwifruit, eggplant, cucumber, beets, and apple – can be juiced with their peels on but not grapefruit. Like orange peel, that of grapefruit contains some natural oils which have been reported to cause indigestion, so err on the side of caution and peel the grapefruit’s skin but leave on the pith as mentioned.
Where Can I Get Grapefruit Juice From?
There are a number of ways you can get your hands on grape juice and all its benefits. Here are 4 different options:
1) Try making the juice yourself from home. Just follow the instructions given on this page as well as the 3 recipes below. You will obviously have to buy a juicer if you don't already own or have access to one.
2) If you don't want to buy a juicer or if you can't be bothered making fresh juice from home, but would still very much like to gain the benefits of drinking grapefruit juice via a supplement, then pure grapefruit seed extract is a very good alternative. You can find very highly rated and popular grapefruit extract supplements at this page on Amazon.
3) If the first two options don't appeal to you, then you can always go out to your local store and buy bottled grapefruit juice. However a word of WARNING, in many cases, commercially bottled grapefruit juice will usually have a high level of sugar content which is not ideal as it can spike insulin levels and ultimately lead to weight gain.
4) The last option refers to finding a general juicing alternative. in this case one way to avoid the fuss and time juicing from home is to use Green Juice powder found here and then mixing in supplements such as grapefruit extract in order to make a quick hassle free juice.
3 Grapefruit Juice Recipes
See below 3 of our favourite grapefruit juice recipes. Just follow the instructions and enjoy!
- THE RED SEA
- CELLULITE REMOVER
- Arthritis Reliever
2 x Grapefruits (peeled)
2 x Celery Sticks
1/2 Beet (beetroot)
1) Place the Celery into the Juicer first.
2) Then juice the Beet, followed by the grapefruit.
3) Pour into a glass
The sweetness of the beet nicely balances the sharpness of the white grapefruit, while the salty celery brings out all the flavours.
1 x Apple (Granny Smith)
1 x Pear
1/4 x Pink Grapefruit
2 x Sticks of Celery
A Bunch of Mint Leaves
1) Juice everything except leave a few mint leaves leftover.
2) Pour the juice into a glass.
3) Finely dice the remaining couple of mint leaves and add to the juice.
How will it help me get rid of cellulite? The apple and the mint in this juice help remove the toxins from the fat tissue. The grapefruit is a great cleanser for a clogged lymphatic system.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
1/2 Grapefruit (pink or white)
1 Apple (Royal Gala or Golden Delicious. NOT Granny Smith)
1 Handful of Blackberries
1/2 inch Ginger
1) Juice the apple and blackberries together first.
2) Juice all other ingredients in afterwards.
3) Pour over ice if desired.
How will this help ease my joints? This recipe has a tonne of B vitamins and folic acid from the blackberries. The bromeline in the pineapple and the acids in the grapefruits, can all help certain arthritic conditions.
GET OUR TOP 10 JUICE RECIPES FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Some of our readers used these recipes to help them lose 15 lbs in 6 weeks...
- Our FREE Insider Juicing Secrets and Tips
- Learn the Benefits of Juicing and How it Can Prevent Chronic Diseases
- Receive 10 of Our Best Recipes for Weight Loss