Sweet potatoes have come a long way from just being made into pies, fries, soups, casseroles, salads, and stews because, believe it or not, you can now juice them and conveniently and it’s very easy. Read on to find out how to juice sweet potatoes and obtain their numerous health benefits and nutritive value.
Sweet potato, declared as North Carolina’s official state vegetable in 1995, is technically a root that has beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin C, calcium, chlorogenic acid, copper, folate, quercetin, iron, and fiber (when taken in solid form) that prevent certain diseases and protect against them and regulate body functions.
It may not be the first thing that comes to mind for juicing but sweet potato has its own merits that make it a nutrition powerhouse. For starters, know that sweet potato is a good vitamin C source. Very few people actually know that vitamin C provides benefits other than protection against infections and viruses. Vitamin C can:
- Help in the formation of teeth and bones.
- Accelerate healing of wounds.
- Produce collagen that maintains skin elasticity.
- Aid in the formation of blood cells.
- Promote good digestion.
- Strengthen the entire immune system’s functions.
- Protect the body against damage caused by free radicals which may lead to the development of certain cancers.
Sweet potato is high in pyridoxine, also known as vitamin B6, which can reduce the levels of homocysteine in the body. Homocysteine is one of 20 types of amino acids present in our blood that can trigger the development of blood vessel and heart diseases, including strokes and heart attacks, when its level is elevated beyond normal.
Although our bodies are able to produce vitamin D when we get adequate sunlight, the one contained in sweet potatoes can be supplemental for when we become deficient in sunlight to avoid acquiring seasonal affective disorder or SAD. Vitamin D also helps in building strong bones, teeth, nerves, and skin.
Sweet potatoes are a good source of iron which the body needs to produce red and white blood cells, manage stress, metabolize protein, and regulate immune system functions. Iron is an integral part of hemoglobin (the protein molecule in red blood cells) that transports oxygen from the lungs to tissues).
Magnesium is also found in sweet potatoes. This mineral is essential in order to have healthy arteries, bones, muscles, heart, and blood. Magnesium can help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack, and stroke. Experts have estimated that 80% of the North American population may be deficient in magnesium.
How to Juice a Sweet Potato
After reading several benefits that you can obtain from sweet potato and assuming that you have a juicer to extract the vegetable’s liquid with, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t start juicing sweet potato. Here is a step-by-step (and very easy) guide on how to juice it:
- Choose a medium-sized potato and wash it thoroughly.
- Peel it
- Chop sweet potato into chunks or strips that will fit into the juicer.
- Juice as per the instructions in the juicer’s manual.
- Remove the liquid from the juicer and place in a pitcher to chill.
Here are some sweet potato juice recipes which you may want to try. Remember to always use a juicer not a blender when juicing sweet potatoes. If you would like to find out more on the best juicer to buy, you can check out our recommended juicers page here.
An affordable juicer that produces high quality juice and is easy to use. A little noisy though.
Omega Vrt350 HD
The best juicer on the market for juicing quality in our opinion. Powerful, quiet and very easy to use.
Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro
A great juicer if you are on a budget and want your juice extracted in less than a minute!
Sweet Potato Juice Recipes
RECIPE # 1 - Sweet Ginger and Spice
This sweet potato juice recipe uses ginger and carrots as well and yields two servings:
1. Clean eight carrots, two sweet potatoes, and half an inch of a nub of ginger thoroughly.
2. Peel ginger and sweet potatoes; you may choose not to peel the carrots.
3. Juice all three vegetables.
4. Serve as is or over some ice.
RECIPE # 2 - Sweet Apple Pie
This recipe makes a single 500ml serving which you can divide into 250ml portions or five 100ml portions:
1. Clean two carrots, two green apples, and two medium-sized sweet potatoes thoroughly.
2. Cut the apples and carrots first because sweet potatoes turn brown fast.
3. Juice them in this order: carrots, sweet potatoes, and apples.
4. Chill the resulting juice or serve over ice.
You will notice that carrots and sweet potatoes have a lot more pulp than apples when they are not peeled so you may want to peel them before you cut them up, although some people say that juicing vegetables and fruits with their skins on is more nutritious. A masticating juicer is best for extracting the liquid from root vegetables.
- Veggie Tang
- sweet as pine
- Super juice
2 x Grapefruits (peeled)
2 x Inches of Sweet Potato
1 x Parsnip
1 x Celery Stick
1) Start by juicing the celery.
2) Then juice the sweet potato.
3) Now juice one of the grapefruits.
4) Then juice the parsnip.
5) Finally juice the second grapefruit.
A combination of earthy and sweet root vegetables contrasted with the sharper flavour of the grapefruit makes this one fantastic healthy drink.
1 x Sweet Potato
1) Start by juicing sweet potato.
2) Then juice 1/4 of the pineapple.
3) Next juice the carrot.
4) Finally the remaining quarter of the pineapple.
5) Pour over ice and enjoy!
The root vegetables will help tone down the tangy flavour of the pineapple which will provide for a sweet drink.
1/2 a Sweet Potato
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Broccoli Spear
1) Add all the veggies into the juicer in no particular order.
2) Add some ice into the glass of juice if preferred.
This is a low calorie juice, perfect for people strictly watching their weight. Certainly not one for beginners, as the lack of fruit content may scare some away, however this is certainly a juice that experienced juicers will enjoy.
This juice is also very rich in anti-aging and cancer-protective carotenes.
If you would like to see more recipes, click on the link below to download our free healthy juice recipes Ebook. Most are super low-calorie, perfect for losing weight if that’s what you are trying to achieve.
GET OUR TOP 10 JUICE RECIPES FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Some of our readers used these recipes to help them lose 15 lbs in 6 weeks...
- Our FREE Insider Juicing Secrets and Tips
- Learn the Benefits of Juicing and How it Can Prevent Chronic Diseases
- Receive 10 of Our Best Recipes for Weight Loss