Spinach Juice Benefits
Spinach was made popular by Popeye the Sailorman; only, he forgot to include the numerous health benefits that you can absorb more easily from spinach juice. Read on to find out the powerful properties of spinach that can help prevent a wide range of diseases and increase your chances for better health.
Truth be told, spinach contains oxalic acid that prevents the absorption of iron and calcium but only when it is cooked or processed does this acid turn inorganic and become harmful. In its organic form, however, spinach is beneficial and has a plethora of health benefits and nutritive value. You can safely juice spinach in its organic form.
5 Fun Facts About Spinach
1) Popeye is a cartoon character which uses spinach as a source of power. Thanks to this cartoon, popularity and consumption of spinach increased for 30% during the 1930’s in the USA.
2) Medieval artists extracted green pigment from spinach to use as an ink or paint.
3) Spinach leaves are a mild diuretic and mild laxative.
4) French soldiers consumed wine mixed with spinach juice during the First World War to recuperate from excessive bleeding.
5) Silverbeet is sometimes called spinach in Australia, but true spinach has smaller leaves and a much sweeter, milder flavour. In the United States, silverbeet is called Swiss chard
Top 8 Spinach Juice Benefits
That said, let us go through the mentioned health benefits and nutritive value offered by this dark green, leafy vegetable:
- Digestive Tracts: this vegetable has a lot of fiber that can clean out your digestive system of all its accumulated waste matter from various kinds of food.Spinach juice heals, repairs, and nourishes your digestive tracts to preventing digestion, development of stomach ulcers, colitis, and constipation.
- Osteoporosis: with its high vitamin K content, spinach juice can help strengthen the bones to prevent development of the debilitating disease known asosteoporosis. Furthermore, Vitamin K deficiency leads to dementia, tooth decay,arterial calcification, and varicose veins.
- Acidosis: spinach juice maintains the blood’s alkalinity and prevents acidosis, the condition in which the body fluids contain too much acid. Acidosis occurs when your lungs and kidneys are unable to function properly and maintain the body’s pH levels in balance.
- Blood pressure: spinach juice can help lower high levels of blood pressure by counteracting the effects of excessive sodium consumption with its high magnesium and potassium content. Additionally, the magnesium in spinach juice can also protect against cardiovascular diseases.
- Heart attacks and strokes: the folate found in spinach juice can significantly help in preventing the accumulation of high homocysteine levels. Homocysteine is theamino acid responsible for the development of blood vessel and heart diseases.Homocysteine is acquired mostly from eating meat.
- Anemia: spinach helps reactivate and regenerate red blood cells, supply the body with fresh oxygen, and can treat and prevent anemia at the same time. Asmentioned earlier, consuming raw spinach in its organic form and using it for juicing is not harmful.
- Cancer: the fine chlorophyll in spinach juice can ward off and combat stomach,cervical, breast, skin, and prostate cancers by slowing down the rate at which cancerous cells divide. Powerful antioxidants glutathione and alpha lipoic acid in spinach juice are highly defensive against cancer-causing free radicals.
- Eye Health: the vitamin A in spinach juice can help eye problems such as night blindness, cataracts, and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) which is a leading cause of irreversible blindness. Spinach juice contains lutein and zeaxanthin which produce a substance which may help protect against AMD.
Spinach Juice Nutrition
To get the most of the nutritive value of spinach juice, don’t freeze it. Make your spinach juice as soon as you can after buying it fresh. While this may not always be possible, ensure that you place spinach into airtight sealed containers and refrigerate only until the next day when you should make your juice already.
The Chinese has always considered spinach not only food but medicine as well. Spinach has been cultivated in China for more than 2,000 years. Needless to say, the Chinese believe spinach juice has healing powers that can increase vitality, improve blood circulation and blood quality, and restore flagging energy. And they aren’t wrong.
According to world renowned Antioxidant and Molecular Cell Biology Professor Lester Packer of the University of California-Berkeley, the glutathione contained in spinach juice is the “master” antioxidant of nature and the primary cellular antioxidant. It isn’t surprising, then, that spinach juice has the following nutritive values:
- Vitamin E
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Your body will be unable to break down nutrients of raw spinach completely, the reason why consuming raw spinach in juice form is recommended. And while some may find spinach juice unappealing on its own, you can always add honey to sweeten it a little or blend in some fruits such as pear or honeydew melon to it.
Spinach nutrition is less difficult to obtain when the vegetable is in juice form. According to research, spinach in juice form is actually the healthiest way to consume it. The easiest, fastest, and most convenient way to make spinach juice is by using a good quality juicer. We bet Popeye would have loved drinking spinach juice.